If you are nearsighted but are not a candidate for LASIK, Visian ICL may be a good option to help you go glasses-free. Visian ICL (implantable contact lens) is a reversible treatment that involves a lens implanted into your eye to help you see well without the need for glasses or contacts.
Here at Kirk Eye Center, we offer Visian ICL along with LASIK and PRK as options to correct your vision. If you are interested in achieving better vision, give us a call at 708-397-8114 to schedule your consultation. We serve patients in Chicago, River Forest, Oak Park, Cicero, Naperville, and nearby areas of Illinois.
What Is Visian ICL?
Visian ICL is an FDA approved surgical treatment to correct nearsightedness. It is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure that only takes around fifteen minutes to perform.
During the procedure, your eye will be numbed by drops. An oral sedative may be taken as well to calm anxiety. No general anesthesia is needed for this procedure. A small incision is then made in the eye, and the flexible collamer lens inserted. The incision is so small that it doesn't even require stitches, and you are free to go home right after the procedure. Visian implantable lenses are made of collamer, which is a natural material compatible with your eye.
Most patients find that their vision is almost immediately improved. You will come back for a follow-up visit the next day so that your eye surgeon can check to make sure everything looks good and is healing properly, and you can then go about your normal day with improved vision.
Who Is A Candidate for Visian ICL?
Visian ICL is often a good choice for patients who are not candidates for LASIK. It is an appropriate treatment for patients who:
- Have dry eyes
- Have thin corneas
- Have severe nearsightedness
These conditions often prevent LASIK treatment, but they are not deterrents to Visian ICL. In addition, good Visian ICL candidates:
- Are in general good health
- Do not have any eye diseases
- Are between the ages of 21 and 45
- Do not have significant astigmatism
- Have stable vision
Visian ICL can correct a wider range of nearsightedness than LASIK. You can have this procedure with a prescription of up to -20D.
Benefits of Visian ICL
With a Visian ICL procedure, you can enjoy life without the hassle of glasses or contact lenses. Sports, travel, makeup application, and even just waking up in the morning become much easier and less stressful. Broken glasses and lost contact lenses become a thing of the past.
Additional benefits of the Visian implantable collamer lens include:
- Reduced risk of dry eye syndrome: There is a small risk of dry eye syndrome after LASIK, due to the laser corneal flap creation. As Visian ICL does not require flap creation with a laser, the chance of dry eye is reduced.
- UV protection: The Visian collamer lens provides built-in UV protection that treatments such as LASIK or PRK do not offer.
- Removable: Visian ICL is a reversible process, so if your prescription changes or you simply want to remove the lens and go back to glasses, it is possible to change the lens or remove it completely.
Schedule Your Visian ICL Consultation
If you are interested in improving your vision, contact the Kirk Eye Center at 708-397-8114 today to schedule your consultation and find out if Visian ICL is the right treatment for you. Our experienced eye surgeons serve patients in the Chicago area, including River Forest, Oak Park, Cicero, and Naperville.