As you age, the repeated expressions you make on a daily basis cause the lines on your face to become more prevalent and permanent. The repeated acts of frowning, smiling, laughing and looking surprised can lead to wrinkles in a number of areas on your face. BOTOX® Cosmetic helps address wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging to give your skin a rejuvenated, more youthful appearance.
If you would like to learn more about BOTOX treatment at Kirk Eye Center, please contact one of our two convenient locations today. To reach our facility in River Forest, please call 708-771-3334. For our Gurnee office, please call 847-249-4660. You can also contact us online. We proudly serve the Cicero and greater Chicago areas.
On this page, we discuss:
- BOTOX definition
- How Does BOTOX work?
- How is BOTOX administered?
- Benefits of BOTOX
- What facial wrinkles can BOTOX treat?
- Am I a candidate for BOTOX treatment?
- Is BOTOX safe?
- Does BOTOX hurt?
- What can I expect after my BOTOX injection treatment?
- How long does BOTOX last?
- Will I look frozen?
- How much does BOTOX cost?
- Schedule your BOTOX appointment at Kirk Eye Center today
BOTOX Cosmetic is an FDA-approved cosmetic injectable treatment. It is an acronym for botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxin made by the clostridium botulinum bacteria. Utilizing the effects of this neuromodulator, BOTOX injectable treatments soften fine lines and wrinkles in the face that are caused by years of repeated muscle contractions.
A lifetime of laughing, smiling and frowning creates dynamic wrinkles, fine lines and facial folds created by multiple muscles contractions in the face. BOTOX works by blocking nerve signals and temporarily relaxing facial muscles. By preventing these muscles from contracting, the appearance of dynamic wrinkles is diminished, creating a more youthful appearance.
BOTOX is administered through a series of small injections into targeted areas to reduce muscle contractions. Anesthetics are not usually necessary, although an ice pack or topical anesthetics can be used to numb the area if you are particularly sensitive.
The length of the procedure varies, based on the number of areas target for injections, but typically, the entire treatment session can be completed on your lunch break. There is no downtime, so you can return back to work immediately after your session.
The full results of treatment generally appear about 14 days after the injections are initially administered.
BOTOX is one of the most popular non-surgical facial aesthetic treatments in the world, and for good reason. BOTOX injections are an ideal method for achieving quick, painless facial rejuvenation results. Both men and women can enjoy the age-defying effects of this injectable.
Current studies show that Americans are increasingly looking for ways to improve their appearance that do not involve the pain, cost or risk of traditional plastic surgery. While BOTOX cosmetic injections do not offer the long-term results of invasive surgery, they do provide convenience, comfort and subtle, short–term results that are both natural-looking and beautiful.
Just some of the benefits of BOTOX include:
- Limited risks and low rate of complications
- Results last between four and six months
- There is generally no need for anesthesia
- Minimal discomfort during injections
- Completed in a single session
- No downtime required
- Almost immediate results
BOTOX is a temporary treatment. In order to maintain your results, you will need to come back for repeated treatments every four to six months.
Many patients consider the temporary nature of BOTOX injections yet another benefit of the treatment. Knowing the treatment isn’t permanent provides some with the confidence to try BOTOX to simply see if they like the results, without any permanent consequences.
BOTOX can effectively treat facial wrinkles that are caused by facial muscle contractions, such as:
- Forehead: A number of facial expressions involve forehead movement. After many years, these expressions can cause the appearance of horizontal wrinkles on the upper forehead. BOTOX injections into the frontalis muscle, the muscle responsible for elevating the eyebrows, can significantly improve the appearance of these wrinkles.
- Frown lines: BOTOX was first approved by the FDA to treat glabella lines, the wrinkles that develop between your eyebrows. BOTOX treatment can reduce or eliminate vertical furrows or folds that appear after years of facial movement.
- Crow’s feet: The wrinkles that appear around the outer portion of the eye are often referred to as crow’s feet. These fine lines are among the most common complaints among patients seeking aesthetic skin treatments. BOTOX injections can address these unwanted wrinkles, and can even be used to treat wrinkling of the lower eyelids.
- Smile lines: Years of laughter can be good for your spirit, but not as complimentary to your skin. BOTOX treatment can address the unwanted smile lines that are caused by the repeated muscle movement of laughing and smiling.
- Lip lines: Sometimes referred to as smokers’ lines, lip lines are the small vertical lines that extend from the lips. These fine lines can be significantly improved or even eliminated with a small number of BOTOX injections around the upper and lower lips.
- Nose: Sometimes referred to as “bunny lines”, you may experience wrinkles on the sides of the nose. BOTOX can effectively correct this issue with injections on each side of the nose.
BOTOX treatment is a safe, effective and virtually pain-free treatment that is appropriate for almost everyone. Like any prescription treatment, though, there are some qualifying requirements to undergo the procedure. At Kirk Eye Center, we generally consider you a good candidate for BOTOX injections if you are at least 18 years old and meet the following criteria:
- You are not pregnant or nursing
- You have adequate muscle strength in your face
- You are free from pre-existing skin conditions such as facial scars
- You do not have any known allergies to BOTOX or related products
The most important step in determining your candidacy for BOTOX Cosmetic treatment is meeting personally with one of our doctors at Kirk Eye Center. During this personal meeting, we will discuss:
- Medical conditions
- Any known allergies
- Medications you are currently taking, including supplements and vitamins
- Your questions and concerns regarding treatment
Since it was approved by the FDA in 2002, BOTOX treatments have become one of the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures in the United States, helping millions of people achieve natural, youthful-looking results. Because the procedure is non-surgical, it is far less risky than other facial plastic surgery procedures.
Although a resoundingly safe procedure, BOTOX injections do have potential side effects. These possible side effects are very mild, temporary and rare, and include:
- Temporary muscle weakness in the surrounding area
- Redness or minor swelling in the treatment area
- Allergic reactions to one of the ingredients
One of the reasons BOTOX has enjoyed such worldwide popularity is its ability to provide consistent, reliable results, almost painlessly. While some patients may experience mild discomfort during the injection process, many people report feeling no pain at all.
One of the advantages to BOTOX treatment is that it doesn’t require you to take any time off of work to recover from your procedure. In fact, many patients choose to undergo treatment on their lunch hour. Once your treatment session is complete, you should avoid rubbing the treated areas. This can cause the formula to migrate to other areas.
You may experience a slight headache or mild bruising for the first 24 hours, but these effects will subside. You may notice some results during the first 24 hours following your injections, but it usually takes 7 to 14 days for most people to see the full effect of treatment.
While BOTOX results are long-lasting, they are not permanent. Most people notice their results begin to diminish in about three to six months. Fortunately, you can effectively maintain your results through re-injection treatments. We can help develop a treatment plan that ensures your youthful, rejuvenated facial appearance is restored as the effects start to fade away.
Some patients are concerned that BOTOX treatment will give them a “frozen” appearance. At Kirk Eye Center, we pride ourselves on providing results that are subtle and natural-looking, not frozen. The key is to ensure your muscles don’t get overly relaxed.
You may have noticed the appearance of a “frozen face” on someone whose facial treatment has been overdone. By working toward a moderate effect, you can retain your ability to naturally display your emotions through facial movement.
Just as no two patients are exactly the same, no two treatments are identical. The price of your BOTOX session will vary from other patients based on a number of determining factors, such as the number of targeted areas being addressed and the number of injections necessary in a session to accomplish your desired results. During your consultation, you will discuss your goals with our experienced doctor, who will answer your questions, explain your options and provide you with an estimate of what you can expect to pay for your treatment.
Are you ready to learn if BOTOX is the right choice for you? Kirk Eye Center has two locations to help you find out. If you live in the River Forest area, please call 708-771-3334. If our Gurnee location is closer to you, please call 847-249-4660. We welcome residents of Cicero and Chicago.