One of the best things about LASIK eye surgery is the rapid recovery time. Typically, it takes just a few days to fully recover, and most patients find that their vision noticeably improves just a few hours after they get home from their LASIK surgery. The fast and relatively comfortable recovery time is the main reason that LASIK is the vision correction procedure of choice, over other equally effective procedures such as PRK.
If you are interested in gaining 20/20 vision or better with LASIK eye surgery, contact Kirk Eye Center today at 708-397-8114 to schedule your complimentary consultation.
LASIK Eye Surgery Recovery
Immediately after your LASIK surgery, your vision will be blurry. You’ll need someone to drive you home, so we recommend making plans to have a friend or family member pick you up. If no one is available, you can get a taxi or ride share service.
After you get home, you should take a nap or at least close your eyes for a few hours to rest them. Once you wake up a few hours later, you should notice clear improvement in your vision, although you may still experience:
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision that comes and goes
- Haloes and glares
You may also experience eye watering for the first few hours after your LASIK procedure, but this typically doesn’t continue past the first day. The other side effects may last for up to a few weeks, and some people continue to experience haloes and glares for a few months. Most people find that side effects subside over the first few days or weeks, and are very happy with their new and improved vision.
Tips for a Smooth LASIK Recovery
Most patients don’t experience complications or have much trouble with their recovery beyond the expected temporary discomfort. You can help to ensure a smooth LASIK eye surgery recovery by following these tips:
- Don’t rub your eyes! This is one of the most important rules to follow after LASIK surgery. If needed, we can provide protective eye shields to keep you from touching your eyes.
- While it’s okay to shower the day after LASIK surgery, take care not to get soap or shampoo in your eyes, and once again, be sure not to rub your eyes.
- Don’t wear eye makeup or use eye creams for a week following LASIK surgery.
- Don’t go swimming for at least a week after LASIK, possibly longer – talk to your surgeon to make sure it’s okay before jumping in a pool, river, or the ocean. Water, whether chlorinated or natural, can carry bacteria that may cause infection.
- It’s okay to exercise a few days after LASIK, but take care not to get sweat in your eyes, and avoid contact sports. You may want to look into wearing safety goggles while playing contact sports for the first month or so after your surgery, just to be on the safe side and prevent any chance of eye injury.
You should also make sure to come to all of your follow-up appointments, and contact Kirk Eye Center immediately if anything seems to be wrong or unusual during your recovery.
Schedule Your LASIK Consultation
If you are interested in improving your vision, contact Kirk Eye Center today at 708-397-8114 to schedule your complimentary consultation. We serve patients in Gurnee, River Forest, and other nearby areas of greater Chicago.